Friday, December 7, 2012

My child is a BRAT!

Or maybe we've just had a rough few days - she's been a demon and I'm hoping she doesn't continue down this path of destructive behaviour.  I'm not exactly sure when it started, but my sweet non-tantrum throwing sweet-pea (and me telling her this constantly might have been where my downfall started) who skipped over the terrible-twos, has thrown herself head first into the FUCKING-TERRIBLE-FEARSOME-THREES!

The feet stamping has GOT.TO.STOP, I have no idea where it came from, but it's one trick I hope she un-learns REAL soon. She's had more stints on the naughty step this week than Lindsay Lohan has had days in jail.... and she's not quiet while she's there, she screams and shouts and continues her little tirade.. my policy is 3 minutes, but then I thought F-that, you're 3 minutes start when you're quiet, which of course never happens!

I read all that parenting crap telling me it's her way to vent frustration, one side of her brain is growing faster than the other, and she doesn't know how to process these new feelings. Where once upon a time if she couldn't do something she'd ask for help.. now she bursts into a fit of screaming tears and the world is ending.  I ask myself if this is so, why is she such an angel at school - there are no tears there, no fits of rage and frustration - I'm sure if there were they would be calling me in for a little chat! No, at school she is the epitome of serene, they even cast her as a Gospel Angel in the upcoming nativity!

Sophia has always had an amazing imagination  she entertains herself for hours on end, making up stories and characters.. and now she has friends.. OK she's an only child, it's to be expected.. but instead of going down the path my cousin did, his imaginary friend "Mingle" was a sweet kind thing, she has gone the way of my sister and "Dorothy".  Sophia's best imaginary friend (because she has a few) is Peter Pan... and just like in the Disney movie, he's a little argumentative sh*t.... Peter Pan takes the blame for everything naughty that happens in our house, if Sophia gets hurt "Peter Pan did it" if something gets broken it's his fault - if Sophia won't change out of her school uniform or talks back, it's because Peter Pan is telling her (not) to do it. Tonight  as I'm brushing her teeth, she blew a toothpaste ladened raspberry at me.. looked me square in the face and said "Peter did it" not skipping a beat. Lying in bed she's drifting off to sleep and asks for some juice, I tell her she had enough at dinner and that I didn't bring any up to bed... she continues to drift off, fiddling with my lips as usual, then out of the blue, she pinches off a big piece of skin from my bottom lip - she says "Peter said to do that because you wouldn't get me any juice" turns around and goes to sleep!

I've told her if Peter Pan continues to misbehave he will no longer be welcome in our house and will be banished to Neverland... Sophia turns around and says "He told me to leave a window open for him when you're not looking".. This kid is too smart for her own good.. Someone has got to go Peter OR Sophia...!

No comments:

Post a Comment