Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Apple Strudel a la Apple

Pinterest is my new guilty pleasure, I seem to spend countless hours on there, pinning random crap to my boards!  All of it cute and delish looking, but most of it I'll never attempt to make, see or taste, it's a wonderful waste!

Today however, after adding yet another pin to my mmmmmmm FOOD board, I decided to make something that caught my eye a few days ago (I'm not going to share the pin on here, because you should all go sign up for pinterest and then you can follow my boards and see my original pin!) but the inspiration for said pin comes from HERE YES folks, apple pie in an apple - GENIUS! Plus saves you some major calories for the gobbs of thick custard you are going to pour on top!

What I created today can only be described in one word... magnificent! It wasn't quite apple pie, as I only had puff pastry on hand, as one does, and didn't feel like making my own pie dough... so I made APPLE STRUDEL a la APPLE! YUM!

Here's how you can creat this fab dish yourself! (my photos aren't as good as the original source, but you get it..)

Preheat your oven (190C) and gather utensils/bowls/ingredients etc

Cut tops off apples and scoop out the middles, slicing scooped apple into a bowl (discard core) peel and dice top of apple (the bit you cut off at the start) - add a dash of lemon juice to stop apples from turning brown.
Place hollowed apples into baking dish.
For each apple you will need
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp Flour
  • 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
Mix together and then mix with diced apples -


then scoop apple mixture back into apples and mound slightly



Now you need to add the pastry tops, we used store bought puff pastry, you can either buy your pastry or make your own, it doesn't really matter... roll out pastry and cut, we used a flower and heart cutter, but use whatever floats your boat! Next you need to make little vent holes in the top, to let the steam escape

and then put your shapes onto your apples, don't try and mould them as the heat of
the oven will do that for you

Brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar, place into preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are brown and apples are tender (I had to place foil on top of mine after about 15 minutes to stop the pastry from burning)


et Voila - Apple Strudel a la Apple
Served wth custard - YUMMY!

1 comment: